Parent Sail in The Bahamas!!!

I have been looking forward to the Bahamas since the last parent port, way back in Barcelona. For one thing, I needed to send a bunch of things home in order to make room in my personal storage (or, lack thereof), and for another, we were taking our families sailing!

We arrived in port with the yards dressed with students (i.e. the yellow horizontal thingies had people in red shirts on them). The ship was quite a sight. I stood on the fore upper yard. As we came closer, we noticed the huge banners the parents had made for us. It was SO exciting to see them!!!! Mum even made me her famous curried chicken and rice with broccoli. It was awesome.

The highlight of the trip was definitely the day sail. We were all really excited to actually show our parents what sailing is like. Dad was crazy. He was like a little kid in a candy store – hauling on lines with one hand, while taking millions of pictures and videos with the other. As you can imagine, Mum was chatting with the captain for a lot of the time and she had lots of fun too. I taught her how to properly coil rope and also haul a line. I don’t think she enjoyed watching me climb aloft … Dad was pretty jealous though.








Bonus: neither of them got seasick! Which is great, but also quite unfair, seeing as I was sick for the first two months! Many of the other parents were terribly ill – hugging the puke funnels or a bucket, or else sleeping down below. Us “salty sea dogs” thought it was quite hilarious …

We had a really great time in the Bahamas. It has made me eager to get home! Only a few short weeks and I’ll be back in Steveston. Can’t wait!