Farewell to the Sea




The following blog is a letter that I wrote the evening we took the ship through the Straight of Gibraltar for the last time. It was also the day that we crossed over the same course we made at the beginning of the year. I tossed this letter, addressed to the sea, overboard into the ocean.





To the Sea:

Today we finished a full circle of the Atlantic, so I felt it was a good time to write you this letter of farewell. You have carried me, my crew and the Sorlandet far and wide. We sailed down the coast of Europe, through the Straight of Gibraltar, across the Equator, into the Doldrums, up the Amazon River, through the Caribbean, across the Bermuda Triangle and back across the North Atlantic. You kept us safe. Your fronts and storms challenged us and your high waves washed over our decks and the water leaked onto my bunk. Even so, I fell in love with you. That salty sea spray is the smell of adventure that I will sorely miss. For the rest of my life, I will always want to live by the sea ... I am forever yours. In the beginning, you teased me with rolling waves and sickening motions. I wanted to die and throw up and never leave land again. But I got over it. I learned your rhythms and flowed with your melodies. I hardly notice your rocking now. The creatures of your many seas appeared to greet us. We welcomed dolphins, whales, sea turtles and killer-jellyfish. We caught and ate Marlin and Mahi Mahi from your waters. So, thank you. Thank you for everything. For keeping us safe, but also giving us excitement. I hope to return one day. I have a place in my heart or soul or blood for you. Fair winds. Farewell. So long.

Love,
Lion Fish, Nadia Dale
Sorlandet Crew 2011-2012